
I liked this one a lot, and it's fairly short to boot. It's the first of a trilogy, and all of them will be out this year. How cool is that? This is a story about parallel universes and time travel, and leans heavily into the multiple timelines theory of time travel. Every time a decision is made, more or less, an alternate timeline is spawned. Nick finds that the time travel doesn't just concern him, however- the stranger needs his friends, as well, for whatever he has planned, and Mia is the focal point. At some point she faces great danger- and Nick can help her.
The story is set in the 80's- bonus!- and it was a different era then, in a lot of ways. LGBT issues, the acceptance (or stigma) of D&D, the music- all of these are examined, and it's a fun, heady mix. In some ways this almost felt a little too fast, since I've gotten so used to longer books, but at the same time the story moves, and I appreciated that. Mia is awesome, and frankly so is the whole group. It's a slightly stereotypical 80's gaming group, in some ways, and Stranger Things has definitely affected how gaming in the 80's is portrayed, I think, but this was mostly effective.
I was a little unsure of the true purpose of the stranger, and what his motivations were. I liked the uncertainty, and the looming sense of peril throughout. And how often do you get a book where Power Word Kill is referenced? And actually plays a role? If you know what Power Word Kill means, by the way, this is most definitely a book for you!
As with all time travel stories the subject matter is kinda heavy, but I thought the author did a great job of keeping it from getting out of hand. I feel like I'm getting to be an old hand at time travel stories now! I've read a ton this year alone. This is definitely a stellar addition to the list though, and I highly recommend this if you want a fast paced YA time travel story with a lot of heart.
The story is set in the 80's- bonus!- and it was a different era then, in a lot of ways. LGBT issues, the acceptance (or stigma) of D&D, the music- all of these are examined, and it's a fun, heady mix. In some ways this almost felt a little too fast, since I've gotten so used to longer books, but at the same time the story moves, and I appreciated that. Mia is awesome, and frankly so is the whole group. It's a slightly stereotypical 80's gaming group, in some ways, and Stranger Things has definitely affected how gaming in the 80's is portrayed, I think, but this was mostly effective.
I was a little unsure of the true purpose of the stranger, and what his motivations were. I liked the uncertainty, and the looming sense of peril throughout. And how often do you get a book where Power Word Kill is referenced? And actually plays a role? If you know what Power Word Kill means, by the way, this is most definitely a book for you!
As with all time travel stories the subject matter is kinda heavy, but I thought the author did a great job of keeping it from getting out of hand. I feel like I'm getting to be an old hand at time travel stories now! I've read a ton this year alone. This is definitely a stellar addition to the list though, and I highly recommend this if you want a fast paced YA time travel story with a lot of heart.

0 Yorumlar